Green up Bank Holiday weekend with 15% off Plants and Pots - Use code HOLIDAY15

Dieffenbachia

This vibrant, tropical, and easy-to-care-for plant will adapt to different environments and require little attention from you.
Commonly known as the dumb cane due to the toxicity of it's sap that will cause irritation to your mouth if ingested.
Dieffenbachia thrive in a spot that receives bright ambient light, but low light is no problem for this plant, they can even adapt to fluorescent lighting, though it may take some time to adjust.

Light: Will do well in lower light levels but bright, indirect light is ideal. Never direct sunlight as it will scorch the leaves.

Water: Dieffenbachia prefer soil that is consistently and lightly moist, but not soggy. Generally, aim to water when the top 1”- 2” of the soil is dryand don't let the plant dry out completely. If the plant is in a lower light condition, it can comfortably dry out a little further

Temperature: Average household temperatures are fine for this plant

Feed: Use a half-strength complete liquid fertiliser during the growing season. Don’t feed them in the winter months. If your Dieffenbachia sits in brighter light, then fertilise more frequently.

Humidity: Dieffenbachia love higher humidity; more is always better. Try placing your plants on a tray filled with water and pebbles, or use a humidifier. 

Top Tips:

  • Dieffenbachia have a toxic sap that can cause irritation, giving the plant its nickname, “Dumb Cane”. Keep out of reach of pets and children, and wash your hands after pruning.
  • Lower leaf loss is common as your plant acclimates to its new home. Simply cut the lower leaves down at the base of the plant.
  • A thirsty plant's leaves will crinkle and become dry, eventually falling off, while an overwatered plants leaves will fall off and leave behind a slimy residue on the stalk.
  • Rotate your plant periodically to ensure even growth on all sides
  • Dust the leaves often so the plant can photosynthesize efficiently. 

Important! Dieffenbachia are poisonous if ingested.